With over 18.5 million Bitcoin in circulation today, people are using cryptocurrency for more than just a digital asset investment. They are finding it useful as a daily currency to buy everyday items like clothing, electronics, and even groceries.
If you have expendable BTC but don’t know how to spend it then you are in luck. There are many convenient options. Some Bitcoin wallet apps allow you to use BTC in online shops by transferring payments on the Blockchain. However, this isn’t the best way to buy things on the go.
The easiest way to spend your BTC while out shopping is by using a Bitcoin debit card. Read on to find our list of the best Bitcoin Debit cards available today.
Choosing the Right Bitcoin Debit Card
Before we go over the top BTC debit cards, first you should know how to choose one.
It is important to find the right kind of debit card so that you are safe and secure. You don’t want to have your card hacked and your BTC stolen. And just as important- you want to be able to use your card when and where you want.
That’s why you should conduct your own research, so that you can find the right one that fits your personal needs.
Here are a few things to consider before picking a Bitcoin Debit Card:
- Check international restraints (some companies only allow BTC debit cards in certain countries)
- Verify it is Visa or Mastercard certified
- Confirm its safety features like changeable pin codes, card holograms, SMS OTPs, etc.
- Browse online features like account history, dispute functions, and card disabling options
- Be sure it has low fees for things such as transactions, transfers, ATM, and currency conversions
- Clarify its insurance and fraud protection that is backed by excellent customer service
- Choose appropriate loading and spending limits
These are the most important features to consider when choosing a BTC card. But, you should also check customer reviews and expert opinions on the company offering the card.
We’ve done some work for you with this list of our favorite Bitcoin debit cards below.
Crypto.com began in 2016 and has been at the forefront of cryptocurrency privacy advocacy. They were the first crypto business to earn the coveted ISO/IEC 27701:2019 Certification for privacy, making them one of the most secure places to buy, sell, and trade digital currency online.
They also have a strong team of over 350 professionals based in Hong Kong. However, their community reaches far beyond the office with a large network within DeFi (decentralized finance) with the use of their crypto.com coin, CRO.
This coin is the basis for their reward-based Bitcoin debit card with five card options. All the cards have no ATM fee and provide rewards for spending from 1% to up to 8%. The upper tier cards get some what expensive but offer other perks like airport lounge access.
The best part about the card is its adjoining wallet app where you can convert CRO into BTC or fiat currencies, transfer funds, and track transactions on a secure network backed by a stellar customer service team.
Here is a list of its main features:
- No ATM fees
- Several tiered card options including a free card
- Reward-based spending
- Visa certified
- Made from composite metal (except free card)
- Includes convenient wallet app
- 24/7 live chat
- Uses Defi token: CRO (crypto.com coin) for fast seamless transactions
If you want a strong card with an even stronger network behind then you can’t beat crypto.com’s debit cards.
In 2011, BitPay saw the potential of Bitcoin as a real currency and made it their vision to create an online platform to use crypto in practical ways. Today, they offer merchants and consumers a way to integrate cryptocurrency into their every day spending. They do this by offering cryptocurrency gateway payments, wallet apps, and of course a Bitcoin debit card.
Their desire to make crypto a contender in the global economy is shown through their connection to businesses. They keep an updated list of where to spend your crypto to expand your spending potential and develop a new paradigm of digital currency beyond fiat.
As for their card, BitPay keeps it simple with one type of card that fits everyone. It’s made for fast reloads and transactions on the go within the app. Plus, its high limits allows you to use it without worry whether online, at the store, or to get cash.
Here a list of their features.
- No conversion fees for crypto or fiat exchange
- App secure features like change pin, freeze card, and monitor transactions
- $10,000 spending and load limits, $2,000 ATM withdraw limit 3 times a day, total account limit of $25,000
- $10 card delivery fee, $2.50 ATM fee, $5 monthly no activity fee after 90 days
- Instant reloads
- Used worldwide, certified by Visa
Many people use BitPay as it is a common name in the online and in-person world of commerce, so you know that you are backed by a reputable company.
Wirex is mainly based in the European market and has expanded to Asia and the rest of the world like North America with limitations like wire transfers. However, these national limits do not limit its functionality on a universal scale.
It’s the world’s only Visa card that lets you convert and spend Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum XRP, and over 150 different currencies. The best part is you don’t have to worry about fiat conversion. The card instantly pays in the local currency without any fee, which saves you big when traveling.
You can use it like traditional money and there are no hidden fees involved. Another unique part about the debit card is that you can choose a GBP, EUR or USD card or go for all three depending on your travelling schedule. It’s also PCI-DSS level 1 certified and 3-D Secure enrolled, making it a highly secured card.
Another great part about swiping with Wirex, is that it gives you up to 1.5% back in Bitcoin, every time you spend. Also, earn money by referring friends. All rewards are loaded onto your app for instant claim.
Here are some more features:
- Free card issue
- Free crypto deposits and transfers
- ATM fees based on location and currency
- Up to 1.5% reward except outside of Europe and Asia
- Unlimited balances
- 3-D Secure enrollment and PCI-DSS level 1 certified
- Cold storage wallet with multi-sig vaults
- 2FA and device authorization control
If you love to travel but hate the conversion fees then Wirex is perfect for your mobile lifestyle. It also keeps your money as secure as any other large bank or card company.
The crypto collateral-lending service, Nexo has recently launched their card that acts like a line of credit, Bitcoin debit card, and a dynamic loan all in one.
It works by using your digital assets to take a fiat loan instantly the moment you make a purchase with your card. This allows you to use your Bitcoin without actually spending it. Instead, you are using its value as collateral.
When the crypto market skyrockets then the value of your coins go up. However, if the market crashes then you will need to replenish your funds to pay the loan or sell your crypto to have access to your expendable debit account.
Here is a list of its main features:
- Use at at over 40 million merchants
- Convert crypto into any local currency
- No annual fees or foreign transaction fees
- Earn interest on collateral Bitcoin or other Altcoins like XRP
- No need to spend crypto
- Includes convenient app
- 2% Cash back rewards for purchases
- Free additional virtual cards
- Transaction notifications
- Freeze and unfreeze in one click
If you are looking for a cryptocurrency debit card without having to go through a verification process but still want a secure spending account then Nexo is worth looking into.
Using your Bitcoin Debit Card
Now that you know the best Bitcoin Debit Cards available then you can get started with ordering one, signing up on their app, and paying in Bitcoin. The biggest advantage of using a BTC card is that you aren’t limited to one currency. They give you the option to transfer into fiat or other crypto then withdraw into your bank or hold in your secure wallet.